Monday 20 October 2008

Suzuki sv650s

So a month or two ago while my normal bike was broken I ended up with a hire bike; a Suzuki SV650 S. Suffice to say for my purposes it's rubbish and for almost any purpose I can think of, it's rubbish. I wanted a bike for long motorway trips with panniers that I could fit on - you know a replacement for my bike that was being fixed. What the SV650 is is very much a toy, and a broken one at that.
Well I'll rephrase using an analogy. Imagine a Golf GTI with the bottom of the range diesel engine in it. The engine in the bike is a twin so very torque-y, which would be great for touring or town work were it not for the riding position which feels like something off WSB - totally uncomfortable. The riding position has you leaning over in a sport bike position and for someone of my height this means a lot of my body weight is on the handlebars, which is a recipe for pain. Out around country lanes it's certainly very responsive, but runs out of power just where you need a sporty bike to have it. For example trying to overtake someone on it, it just doesn't have the power to accellerate once you get to 50+.
In summary for blasting around empty country lanes by yourself it's brilliant. For overtaking a car in front of you doing 50 it's rubbish. For taking a passenger it's rubbish. For having luggage on it's rubbish. For motorway riding, it's rubbish.

No comments: