Monday 19 January 2009

Wormhole Ponderings

For a bit of Sci-Fi I was writing i was developing a set of pretend physics that would allow the story to happen. As I carried on developing this idea I realised it was quite self consistent, and so even though I don't publish my stories, I thought I would publish my ideas behind this for criticism. Yes I have stolen a few ideas from bad pop-science, but at least this might explain a bit more than others bother to.

Consider that the fabric of the universe, the ether if you will, is actually a mass of subatomic size wormholes. Everywhere there is a sea of wormholes their entrances and exits right next to each other, but still a finite distance apart.
A photon would enter the wormhole and a finite time later emerge a finite distance away.
Other particles (such as a proton) interact with the event horizon of the wormhole and thus require an amount of time proportional to the energy of the particle to enter/exit the wormhole. The more energy the particle has the faster it is able to overcome the wormhole's event horizon and thus the sooner it exits. However because energy has to be transferred to the wormhole's entrance event horizon and then returned at the exit, a particle that interacts with the event horizon can only reach the speed of a photon by posessing an infinite ammount of energy.
So far so good, this would give a "reason" behind Relativity's requirement for an infinite amount of energy for light speed.

Then it occured to me that this could explain gravity, because suppose a particle is in the process of passing into the wormhole and another one comes along; having 2 particles interacting with the same event horizon would mean that the particles find it easier to enter and exit the wormhole because they are both overcomming the field together. The effect of this would be that distances seem closer together because they can move throught the wormholes easier, it would be the effect of compressing distances in space that the space-time distortion of Relativity is based upon.

So that's all very nice, but what predictions can you make from this? What tests can you do to support or disprove this?
That's my problem, none that I'm aware of...
Damn useful for a Sci-Fi story though where I need some way to allow wormholes to exist and eventually allow FTL (remembering that FTL means that we have to have time travel)...

No comments: